Thursday, April 11, 2013

Obedience

Saw this really cool site on Facebook the other day!  And I got goose bumps and all excited about it ... it's called One Word 365.  Of course just seeing those three words "One Word 365" aroused my curiosity.  Why, because I'm like a little kid, I'm all about Why, What, How, When, Where, What For, but mostly Why

So, I clicked on the site and I see the words, "One Word Can Change Everything".  What a cool concept!!  The more I read the more I wanted to participate and find my one word, my one focus for the year.  The first word that popped immediately into my head was listen (or hearken).  Why, because my husband always tells me that I don't listen to him.  But like I tell him, if you'd get my attention and talk to my face and not at my back you'd have my undivided attention and I'd hear you.

So, here is a bit of trivia for you ... In the King James bible - how many times will you find the word listen?  Go to Bible Gateway and check it out using the keyword search, and King James version.  How many? ONE, that's it, no more.  But you'll find hearken (listen) all over the bible. 

Sorry, I digressed a bit here.  But now I need to know why ... why is listen only showing up one time in the King James bible?  So now I have to do some research!!!  BECAUSE, I want to know why and what.  What does listen (hearken) mean?  So I google search *hebrew word for listen* and I find "The Glorious Gospel" blog and find this cool article on Hearing is Obeying.

It's amazing when God talks, because when you "listen" and "hear" His voice you "obey"!  And I felt God telling me that my word shouldn't be to listen, but to obey.  Because the more precise translation of listen and/or hear is to obey.

God doesn't want us to listen/hear, what he wants us to do is obey.  And when I obey, I am being obediant to His Word, to His purpose he has for my life.  And in my "obedience" I hear His voice calling out to me.  My "One Word 365" this year is Obedience! 

Job 33:33  If not, hearken unto me: hold thy peace, and I shall teach thee wisdom.

No comments: